The industry holds that both Mentoring skill and Professional Coaching skill are useful for ScrumMasters, agile coaches, and managers. Yet, the differences between these approaches is not crystal clear for most people. It's time to show more than tell. In this session, Lyssa Adkins, author of Coaching Agile Teams and a certified professional coach will Coach an audience member and Mentor another audience member on their real-life agile problems. Real people, real mentoring and coaching sessions. You will witness conversations that usually happen only behind closed doors. Along the way, you will learn the anatomy of powerful Coaching conversations and Mentoring conversations, see how these skill sets address problems in radically different ways and become clearer on when to use which. Learning Outcomes:
- - people see professional coaching skills demonstrated live and learn that the discipline is not about coaching the problem, but rather coaching the person.
- - people see mentoring skills demonstrated live and learn how to keep the empowerment "over there" with the mentee, even when offering advice.
- - people get a clear cut idea of the difference between the skill sets.
- - people start to see when to use which skill set.
- - people see the gap for themselves between what was demonstrated and what they are currently capable of doing.